image source: Flaming Text

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Cassandra Syndrome: Is it Real?

Maxine Aston is a psychologist in England who discovered Cassandra Affective Deprivation Disorder (CADD).  She says that people who live with someone with undiagnosed Asperger's Syndrome may suffer from CADD.  There are many other names for this condition as well including Mirror Syndrome and Ongoing Traumatic Relationship Syndrome.

Symptoms of CADD include:
  • Sleeping problems
  • Fatigue
  • Lethargy
  • Overeating
  • Depression
  • Social Problems
  • Anxiety
  • Loss of libido
  • Mood Changes
  • Confused
  • Angry
  • PTSD
  • Phobias
  • Symptoms resembling Asperger Syndrome

There are a lot of people out there who claim that CADD is not real. I find that these people tend to be diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome themselves and do not want to feel like they are causing anyone harm.  However, it seems that CADD mostly occurs in relationships where the partner with Asperger Syndrome is undiagnosed.  The undiagnosed/unaware part of this definition is very important.

My own husband can verify that in my case this is very true.  In fact, at one point he came to me and said "I know what your problem is! You have Seasonal Affective Disorder.  We will get a light for your office and it will make everything all better. The only thing is that you have it all year round."  CADD and Seasonal Affective Disorder have the same symptoms.   It didn't take long after we married for my whole personality to change.  I used to be a morning person and suddenly I was sleeping all the time.  While I'd had some problems with depression, I don't remember having any anxiety at all prior to marrying K.  

Resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment