image source: Flaming Text

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Double Standard

I've tried to get this situation out of my head but there it sits and it's all to common in this  AS/NT relationship.

When we came home from the house K is supposed to be living in, we drove straight to church.  Cupcake had to be there to volunteer.  Short cake really wanted to go and I wanted her to go but I looked terrible.  I go out without make up all the time and none of my clothes are in style so if I didn't want to get out of the car because  I was embarrassed about how I looked, it was bad.  I had on faded black jeans, and old t-shirt with the screen print falling off, old glasses from the nineties and I was in very bad need of a hair cut and of course no make up. If I'd just had a few of those things going on, I would have taken her in.

K and I had a huge argument I in the car sitting outside of the church.  He told me it was ridiculous to care about how I looked and how dumb caring about what other people thought was.  He finally took us.  When he realized that Shortcake and I fully expected him to take her back to church he said "What? I can't take her to church. I'm wearing a raggedy shirt and jeans with holes in them."   See the double standard? 

So many things are okay for him and yet not okay for me.  In the end, I changed shirts and put on make up and took Shortcake back to church 30 min. late.

No comments:

Post a Comment