image source: Flaming Text

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Little Fish in a Big Sea

image source: http://www.openclipart.org/image/800px/svg_to_png/189414/cutie-fish-in-water.png

I have lived in small towns all my life.  Let me tell you the definition changes a lot from place to place.  This is a conversation that took place fairly soon after I got to college:

Friend: Are you from a small town or a city?
Me: I'm from a small town
Friend: Oh, so you are used to this type of place.
Me: Oh no.  There is a Walmart here.  That makes it a big city.

Now, of course, the tiny town I grew up in also has a very tiny Walmart but it's still a tiny town.  It's not quite as much in the middle of nowhere as where I've spent the past 12 1/2 years and it seemed to have more to do as the nearest shopping was only 30 min. away.

Now, I've moved to civilization for the first time in years.  I am truly happy to be living where I am and I'm so thankful that I have the opportunity to be here.  The truth is that  I'm getting a little overwhelmed at the possibilities. There are so many things I want to be involved in and as a mom of four kids with an almost full time job that carries strange hours at times, it's just not going to be possible to participate in everything.  So I narrowed my frequent participation down to the one activity that I know I chose for myself years ago.  I'm focusing on what little triathlon training I have time to get in.

And even with the focus of triathlon training (which in itself involves swimming, biking, and running) there are so many options!  There are at least four separate clubs and I hear there are more.  I quickly eliminated one because it was very expensive with no childcare options.  I attended the meeting of another but I really stuck out like a sore thumb with my secondhand clothes and toe shoes.  I was happy to chose the one where people showed up to dinner in their work out clothes. I am definitely comfortable there.  But even beyond the clubs related classes, coached sessions, and extra rides and runs are overwhelming to keep up with.  Add in that it is  necessary to coordinate childcare for those workouts and it's enough to make my head spin.

Sometimes we just sit at home but the idea that I could go somewhere is wonderful.  For so long the options weren't available.


No comments:

Post a Comment